Jan 25, 2018

Week 2 Story: The Warlock and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast from Wikimedia

Once upon a time, there was a warlock who was known for giving gifts to those most deserving. He would travel far and wide just to find the perfect recipient. He often granted wishes as part of his gift. Sometimes he even changed reality to sooth the person's regrets. The thing that was certain, however, was that he changed people's lives for the better.

On one fateful day, the warlock came across a gorgeous but heinous woman who came from old money. She was used to gettings things with her charm and money, but it was rare for her to ever be giving. The warlock was immune to her charm and money, however, because he had no need for such things. He asked for her to prove herself to be worthy of his gifts, already knowing how she would respond. 

"I could give you any piece of land you so desire," she mused. She did indeed own quite a bit of land, among other things. Her lineage was quite impressive.

"I don't particularly desire any piece of land," he responded. "The only thing I desire from you is an act of selflessness." 

"Selflessness?" she asked with astonishment. "How could you only want something so simple from me? I have riches you could take if only you would award me the gift." 

The warlock studied her and made a decision that would change her life. "If all you can offer me are riches, I can offer you a gift, but it will likely be a gift you were not hoping for." Of course, the woman readily accepted this. All she wanted was to receive something. She'd didn't mind offering something she was in excess of to get something she knew she'd never have otherwise.

With a bang of light, the woman's reality was drastically changed. Not only did she lose her riches, she lost her charm. Where she used to have smooth, beautiful skin, she now had warts and sores. Where she was strong, she was now weak. Her hair was even affected. The beautiful auburn became a dirty yellow. 

"How could this ever be considered a gift?" she wailed. "All you've done is take everything away from me! You've given me nothing!" She collapsed to the floor in a dramatic fashion, sobbing.

"You only see the surface of my gift. If you look deeper, one day you will see how this is a gift, and at that moment, you will be freed from this new reality," the warlock explained. If she could manage to become a truly selfless person and learn to care for someone despite her circumstances, perhaps then she would become a better version of what she once was.

Now, all the warlock could do was wait and see how she does. He was accustomed to this wait and quite enjoyed watching the events unfold. He already knew she would one day be able to reverse his gift, so all he had to do was keep watch over her and enjoy the show. How was she the most deserving of this gift you ask? Only the warlock will ever know.




Authors note: So if you couldn't tell, this is a twist on the classic story of Beauty and the Beast. I decided to tell this story from the story of the witch who curses the beast, but I also gender-flipped everyone, so instead, it was a warlock. From the warlock's perspective, this is a gift rather than a curse... a learning opportunity of sorts. It ends abruptly, however, because this is the warlock's story, not the beauty's or the beast's.




Bibliography

The Three Roses by Josef Baudis

6 comments:

  1. Hi Erica!
    Wow: I felt a “wow” moment when the woman’s gift from the warlock was not actually a gift, but a take away. I expected him to give her something subpar, but I did not think he was capable of taking away her charm and riches. This was a great twist in the story. I also liked how it was ended abruptly because the warlock told the story.

    Wonder: I understood why the warlock cursed the beast, but I couldn’t figure out if the “beauty” (woman) in the story was involved at all in your version. If possible, I wonder if you could find a way that the woman could be on the warlock’s side in hoping the beast finds selflessness.

    What If: What if the story continued to show us if the beast truly learned to be selfless, or if the curse backfired? That could add length to your story if you choose the portfolio option for the final project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foreshadowing!! I l love it. I also love the change in character perspective... I've always had some strong thoughts about the Enchantress' decision in Beauty and the Beast to transform all the servants into objects ALONG with transforming the Prince into the Beast, so I appreciate you leaving those poor individuals out of the whole mess. I'll certainly be returning to see how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erica! Wow, this was so interesting! I liked how you changed the point-of-view from the Beauty or the Beast and instead used the warlock's view to tell the story. It was very interesting. The twist of her caring for someone else as opposed to finding someone who will love her despite her circumstances was unique. I think it really highlighted the selflessness required in the story, and how much importance that particular characteristic has on the fate of the characters. The change in gender of the characters was also interesting, because you have a haughty woman instead of a bratty young man. This differentiation in character allowed the story to be viewed in a different light. It gave a new perspective, because of the usual perceptions of these archetypes. You did such a wonderful job of turning the story into something different through your gender-flip, the change in point-of-view, and the way to break the spell. I was very intrigued because it gave the story a new dimension that I had never thought about before. It was really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erica! Wow, I loved the theme of your story and how you had the warlock only give gifts to the most deserving. I like that he was immune to the woman's charm, and I really enjoyed the gender-flip of the character personalities! This story was amazing and I hope you do a part two to it, because I would definitely read that!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hey Erica, I really enjoyed your storytelling post! Stories that begin with "Once upon a time" always grab my attention. I love how creative you made your retelling of the story, and how you made it very different from the original Beauty and the Beast. I really like the new twist that you put on the story, and I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Erica. First of all, I wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your story. You did a great job at making it an interesting read and I had a great time with it. I liked the twist that you put on the story, I never would have thought to do something like that. I am really looking forward to getting to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete