Apr 20, 2018

Week 13 Story: The Stuffy-Nosed Wolf

The Stuffy-Nosed Wolf

Wolf from Wikimedia


There once was a mama wolf. She had nearly a dozen pups and couldn't afford to properly raise them all. As soon as her oldest was of age, she put him out in the wild to fend for himself.

Fearing he would never be able to take care of himself, he went from door to door begging for anything that could help him survive. To his dismay, no matter where he went, no one would open the door for him, as he was a wolf. They were scared of him and refused to help him. Sometimes he managed to find sustenance, but things were looking dim.

One day, he came across a house made of straw. Out of curiosity, he went up to the house to see what kind of creature would live in a straw house. When he looked through the window, he saw a pig. Thinking the pig might have some kindness in his heart, he knocked on the pig's door.

"Hello, little pig. I am a wolf looking for any sort of help you can offer me. I am hungry and cold with nothing to my name," he hollered through the door. 

"Get out of here, you wolf. I won't help a predator," the pig snapped back. 

Suddenly, the wolf's nose started to tickle. It appeared that he was allergic to the straw. "Are you sure there is nothing you can--," he started to say before suddenly he let out a giant sneeze. All at once, the entire house collapsed with the strength of his breath and fell on top of the pig. The wolf tried to save the poor thing, but it was too late.

Saddened by the death of the pig in the straw house, the wolf decided to move on to look for anyone with pity in their heart. Curiously enough, the next house he saw was a house made of flowers. Perhaps the type of person who'd build such a beautiful house would be kind and give him some food. To his amazement, he saw another pig inside the house.

"Hello, little pig. I am a wolf looking for any sort of help you can offer me. I am hungry and cold with nothing to my name," he hollered through the door exactly as he did at this first pig's house.

"A wolf?" the pig cried out in fear. "I can't let you in! You might eat me." After that, the wolf heard the sliding of a deadbolt in the door, keeping him firmly out.

"Please, can you not find it in your heart to--," he began to plead when his nose started to itch, similarly to how it did with the straw. He must also be allergic to the flowers this house was made of. Before her could control it, he sneezed and the house fell to the ground with the pig in it. Feeling guilty, he fled the scene.

After wandering the path for a long time, the wolf finally saw a house made of brick. Surely he couldn't be allergic to brick. He walked up to the house, looked in the window, and saw yet another pig.

"Hello, little pig. I am a wolf looking for any sort of help you can offer me. I am hungry and cold with nothing to my name," he hollered for a third time. Hopefully the pig in this house would be benevolent, unlike the others.

"Oh no, you poor thing. Tell me what happened and perhaps I'll let you in," the pig responded through the door. With that, the wolf told the pig everything that had happened to him.

Just when he was at the end of his story, his nose started to twitch. What could he be allergic to this time? He looked around and saw that there was a flower bush next the the door, with flowers similar to the ones the second house was made of. Before he could stop himself, he sneezed another large sneeze. To his shock, however, the house stood strong.

"Your story has touched my heart, dear wolf. I'll let you in and we can enjoy a nice bowl of soup together. I even have some allergy medicine," the pig said. The wolf thanked the pig many times and they lived happily together from that point on.


Author's Note: I decided to take the very popular story of the Three Little Pigs and make it all about the wolf. In the original, the the pigs' mom sent them to live on their own, so I gave the wolf a similar background. Then, instead of going to each house to eat the pigs, he is just asking for food. Also, instead of trying to blow the houses down to eat the pigs, he just has allergies and the houses falling kills the pigs. At the end, instead of the pig eating the wolf, they become friends.


Bibliography
The Story of the Three Little Pigs from English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erica! I love how this story is in the wolf's point-of-view, taking things from his perspective as opposed to the pigs or an onlooker's. It is interesting to think he may have just been allergic and how he made friends with the final pig. It was really clever to give him allergies instead of being the predator that he is in the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erica!
    I really enjoyed reading your story “The Stuffy-Nosed Fox.” Further, I thought your story flowed very well. Also, I think you did a good job at incorporating dialogue between your characters I think it made your story just that much better. Additionally, the image you used complemented your story really well! Overall, I think you did a great job on your story and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete