Mar 15, 2018

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales (Lang) Half Unit

Last time,  I read some Japanese Fairy Tales as retold by Ozaki, so this week, I wanted to read some as retold by Lang. I really enjoyed the stories I read last time, so I am eager to read these ones. I decided for my notes this week that I am going to read all the stories, but only take notes on the one I want to rewrite.

The Tale of the Tongue-Cut Sparrow from Wikimedia

The Sparrow with the Split Tongue

  • Husband is good-natured and honest
  • Wife is greedy and quarrelsome
  • Man felt bad for the sparrow being chased by the raven, aided it by beating back the raven
  • Sparrow is a scaredy cat
  • Woman is jealous that her husband likes the bird more than her
  • She tried to kill the bird, but was not successful
  • Woman is responsible for splitting the bird's tongue, causing it to fly away from the house
  • Man was disappointed in his wife's behavior and went to find the bird, but couldn't find it
  • Bird for some reason turns into a fair maiden with a nice little hut and garden
  • Bird entertains him all night and gives him a gift, which he chooses from two options
  • Wife got mad that he took the small gift over the big one and leaves to get the big one
  • Inside the bigger gift was serpants instead, killing her

Bibliography
Japanese Fairy Tales retold by Lang



1 comment:

  1. These stories really seem like fan favorites. As I've been doing these comments i've seen so many different analyses and adaptations of this specific story that it's inspired me to read it myself. I definitely think this is a great story to adapt, the story has simple enough "beats" as to be easy to emulate, but it has enough details that it allows adaptations in a similar style to still differ from the original.

    ReplyDelete